The fact that industries are always a target for the malicious actors isn’t false, and cybersecurity is a major concern for the digital world is understood. The implementation of AI and machine learning (ML) will not just be part of the corporate sector but also cater to the needs of the government sector that may soon plan to adopt Artificial Intelligence. AI has already set a benchmark in fields like healthcare,smart manufacturing, and education. Likewise, deploying AI for cybersecurity reasons will help protect organizations from cyber threats and identify the new malware types too.
However, there are a few limitations of AI that can be considered as an obstruction in its adoption.
• Constraints of AI Adoption for cybersecurity
Building and maintaining the AI-based system for cybersecurity needs a tremendous amount of resources such as memory, computing power, and most importantly data. As AI systems are trained to bring in a lot of data, cybersecurity firms need to feed AI with new datasets that incorporate malicious codes and non-malicious codes at regular intervals. Most importantly, the data that is being fed to the AI systems must be accurate because inaccurate data can lead to inefficient outcomes. Therefore gathering data that is precise and accurate can be a time-consuming job but is worth it for in the long run.
Who is a black hat hacker? Similar to cybersecurity experts there are black hat hackers who have extensive knowledge regarding breaking into computer networks and bypassing security protocols and they even use AI to test their malware. With these advancements, hackers can develop advanced malware or one can term it as AI-proof malware strains. Considering the growing importance of AI one can imagine how destructive AI-proof malware could be.
• How to overcome these challenges?
Keeping in mind the limitations AI bring with it, organizations can use AI along with the traditional techniques for now. Below mentioned are a few points to consider as in how to maintain adequate security standards.
1. Hire cybersecurity personnel who have niche skills and can test systems for any vulnerability.
2. Organizations must implement firewall and malware scanners to block the viruses and play close attention to the outgoing traffic. They can also set up alerts for the outgoing data and notify the organization if the data is being compromised.
3. It is essential and mandatory to update the current system in organizations to integrate modern technologies like AI and ML.
4. Conduct regular audits of hardware and software and consider sessions for employee training concerning the cyber attacks.
5. Encrypt all the organizational data thereby giving some time to cybersecurity expert to stop an attack in case of an intrusion.
6. Cyber experts need to block the outgoing command and control connections to prevent any outgoing malware communication.
The continuous research and development in AI are helping the technology to grow exponentially. Additionally, AI will be integrated with other significant technologies like blockchain to ensure better and advanced security measures.